Saturday, August 22, 2015

thank you, Jan and John

I was touched  by the chance today to "attend" Jan Van Dyke's memorial service at UNC-Greensboro via a live stream.  Here's a vintage clip of Jan performing with my MA in Dance  & Related Studies (Film, Theatre and History) advisor John Gamble. Van Dyke also served on my committee. Without question, I thought of everything they taught me about choreography as I approached the editing of this documentary on my former father-in-law Grant Green. I did not know then how valuable the instruction in capturing, editing and using video in dance at UNCG would be even after I went on to continue my doctoral work in History. I often use video as a tool for teaching and even historical research at the University of Alabama. Jan and John, thank you for taking a chance on a mid-career journalist who wanted to go back to school 13 years ago. You continue to inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment